The audience definition of a campaign is sometimes a really time-spending task, not only because the data architecture can be complex, but also because the marketing automation tool might not be ready to make this task in a really optimal and user-friendly way.
Running SQL queries or importing the final audience from a file into Marketing Cloud is the most common approach, but it requires more time and increases the chances of making an error or missing customers as it is something manual. In an ideal scenario, for very simple use cases, we can create audiences by applying filters in the Data Extensions, but unfortunately, it is not always the case.
But today I bring you good news! There are partners working hard to make our lives more simple, so we can spend more time making decisions to improve our business rather than on coding SQL lines or trying to understand where we can find the right attribute in our data architecture.
Please welcome… DESelect!
DESelect is an official Salesforce Partner that is working on improving the way we can create audiences in the tool (among other things), focusing on building a user-friendly solution for the end-user.
On top of all the different solutions they have in place, we would like to highlight DESelect Segment. Without having to code SQL queries, import files, or run external APIs, just by drag-and-drop, we can create Data Extensions and segments for any campaign.
Discover in the table below how DESelect Segment is covering each limitation from Marketing Cloud in this regard.
|Marketing Cloud Pain Points||DESelect Solution|
|The user needs to access multiple Studios to manage their segmentations:|
– Email Studio (to maintain Data Extensions)
– Query Activity (to maintain filters)
– Automation ( to schedule and create chained processes)
|No-code All-in-one solution:|
– Plug & Play
– Apply filters and manage segmentations
– Create/Update Data Extensions
– Schedule the segmentations
– Create Waterfall selections for chained segmentations
|– SQL knowledge required to work with Data Views|
– SQL function limitations
– SOQL knowledge is required
– The editor doesn’t provide any help or information when creating and debugging the query
|– Data Views are included along with all the Data Extensions of your environment|
– No technical knowledge is required
– Drag & Drop Interface
– Automatic conversion to SOQL
– Extra SQL lines can be appended
– Fixed Target Data Extension, no customization of the resulting columns
– Limited to the Data Extensions included in the Data Relationships
– The relation type is always getting the matching rows from the related DEs
– No exclusion option is provided
– Basic filter types for each field type
|Advanced Filter features:|
– Customizable Target Data Extension: add the fields you need for each campaign
– Reduce the AMPScript required when creating the content
– Ability to create new fields on the fly: aggregations, dynamic fields, date operations…
– Six built-in relation types: inclusion and exclusion allowed
– Advanced Filter Types: date relative filters, subqueries, and many more
|No preview option of the filters:|
Query Studio or try-and-error is required to get the expected results
Automatically generates a temporary DE so the Target Data Extension is not modified until we get the expected result
|You need to know by heart the values of a field to create filters||Picklists: see a dropdown list with all the values of a specific field|
|You need to recreate the Data Extensions and Queries from one BU to another either manually or with the Deployment Manager||Copy to other Business Units is supported|
|Deduplication solution: create rules to deduplicate records|
|Random Split included|
In DESelect, segmentations are called Selections, and they include all you need to configure to generate a Data Extension with your desired target.
The DESelect Process is divided into three steps:
- Selection Criteria : select the Data Extensions you need and apply the filters over them
- Target Definition: either create a new DE or use an existing one; choose how you want to populate the fields of the Target DE, by drag & dropping existing ones or by creating new ones
- Preview & Run: preview and validate the result in a safe space and run it when you are confident about it
Final conclusions… what is coming next?
This is just the first of many posts about DESelect! As you can see, Salesforce Marketing Cloud is a robust tool, but partners are boosting its capabilities to make it even greater.